Logistics experts are always looking for ways to reduce their operational costs. An often overlooked, but important link in any supply chain is freight unloading. Professional, reliable, and responsible lumping services can maximize successful supply side operations. That’s because whether the delivery system is via container or trailer, the loading dock is central to its distribution facility. It is here that optimizing freight loading and/or unloading can make or break the entire supply chain’s efficiency. Express Freight, a leading freight unloading company, offers suggestions for logistics and supply chain managers to ensure their loading and unloading operations run at peak efficacy for optimal performance and profitability.
- Employ best loading practices. This is not a task for day laborers. Ensure that you hire OSHA-trained, certified workers skilled in loading and unloading trailers and containers quickly, effectively, and safely.
- Think ergonomic. Do not waste effort by trying to lift too heavy a load -no more than 50 lbs per person, and always with feet securely planted on a solid, level surface. Let legs bear the load.
- Use the right equipment. Straps, forklifts, etc. can be effectively utilized when removing larger items. These experienced freight unloading teams will make short work of even the largest loads.
- Employ cross-docking techniques to make certain needed equipment, such as forklifts, and key personnel are at the loading dock when the shipments arrive. Time saved is money saved.
- Hire a professional lumper service. Experienced personnel work more efficiently, thereby reducing damaged goods, and time lost by inexperienced staffers.
With clients in 38 states, and over a million trailers and containers serviced every year, Express Freight Handlers knows the ins and outs of freight unloading. Our skilled, dependable teams are supervised and will produce customized reports for our clients on every job.
Contact us today to learn more about how our teams can contribute to optimizing your supply chain efficiency and lower your overhead costs.